Apr 3, 2009

Queen of misfortune

After the incident this morning I knew I am a nominee for bad mommy of the year.

Flashback 4 hours ago...

I picked up the plastics for garbage recycling as I am tidying up our place because our house owner is so desperate to get a replacement for us when we move end of the month that she has arranged a viewing tonight.As Iaree was in front of the laptop watching her self videos (she loves this a lot), I made a quick dash to the garbage bin just two steps from our door. I turned my back placed the garbage in and closed it then as I was about to reach for the door SLAM! Iaree has closed it and even doubled locked the door. Sadly she only knows how to lock because we did not teach her how to unlock. In the first place we never taught her how to lock it. A pretty girl all dressed up going down the stairs saw me and smiled at me. I smiled back and told her my baby is locked inside the house. I asked to borrow her phone to call the admin for help. Minutes passed and the girl also waiting for help to arrive asked me if they have. But they haven't and I try to calm my already panicking guts. Iaree called me once and was telling a lot of things. The tone of her voice told me it was more of a "mom why did you not take me with you if you are going out there" than a "mom you left me alone I'm scared". No crying at all which can be good or bad but admin has no excuse to stall. The nice lady still waiting offered to lend me their ladder altough she cannot say it in English. Guessing game kme. All dress up in her mini metallic dress with matching glittery handbag (big version) She went to her unit and brought the ladder down. I can go with her to get it however I do not want to leave Iaree in case she cries or anything so I stood within earshot or our unit.

The ladder was short it didn't reach the second floor so little miss nice girl went back up to their unit carrying the ladder. Pity the girl really but I was too distraught by now. Luckily I saw the cleaning lady of our building and I asked if she speaks English. She told me she can a bit and I quickly complained to her the lack of response of admin about my predicament. She was prompt and in less than a minute she was with a guard and in a motorbike along come with them the admin person. At this point Iaree was not responding to my call but through the small space under the door I saw her two small legs by the sofa tinkering on something so at least she was fine.

Finally the small group arguing in Malay which I understood a bit has agreed to bring me a big ladder. Security guard, cleaning lady was on my side. I let the nice girl, who told me she was not Malay (I asked her to talk to them in Malay when the help came) but apparently she was Thai, I asked her I'll be fine as I was so so guilty that she's running late for her appointment. Without hesitation I climbed the rather unstable looking ladder in a hurry to get to my baby. 15 long minutes had passed! As dramatic as it sounds I came to her and hugged her immediately, unfazed and wondering what's wrong with mommy she just stared at me then continued removing all the contents of my wallet.

After I put her to sleep I started preparing dinner (Beef Nilaga) which is basically just broth. Well I have cooked the dish a hundred times but this time I burned it. Yea!Swimming in broth yet I burned the beef. Not only am I a bad mom but a bad wife as well. Hmmmm...

Today just doesn't seem to be my day.

3 comments:

Salina Inzaghi said...

i would panic too if i were u..luckily u still have friendly n helpful neighbours around to help u

eiNa said...

OMG!!!
but Iaree is very good girl, still can calmdown and relax...
while im reading this also i was panickingg...

GRRRRRR to bad Mama.. :P

~dowadee~ said...

yes please make sure it doesnt happen to aira. it was so scary for mommy but for baby well...she had no idea what happened.