Jul 14, 2007

The baby's coming out!!!

It was 3:00 p.m. when we reached Pantai Medical Hospital. I could barely walk but just to ensure that this is it I didn't request for a wheelchair and checked myself in at the delivery floor. They immediately placed me in a room and strapped the monitor for the contractions and baby's heart rate. Midwives checked my dilation it was 4-5 cm by that time pain is still tolerable. Mama, Ryan and I were still relaxed..or so I thought coz both of them are already so cold. If it's the aircon or their nervousness I really do not know. Ryan busied himself by setting up the video & digi cam which ironically both ran out of battery.

Dr. Yap arrived past 6:00 pm and checked my dilation again. She jokingly told me finally I know what contractions were. Since my water bag was still intact she had to burst it manually to make the baby go down faster. She informed us that if the baby passes motion in the next few hours and or I am not fully dilated we will go for the ceasarian operation. She will check on me by 9:30 pm meanwhile she left me with my contractions. The contractions became indescribably painful!!! Ouch to the NTH power!!!I do not let Ryan leave my side I squeeze him everytime I feel pain which is according to the monitor was every 2 mins now. My doctor was surprised that I haven't requested for the epidural. Before she left she called ordered for the epidural.

As far as I can recount the "contractions experience" about 3-4 times before the in-house anesthesiologist arrived I was having it so bad. I am shaking in pain and the nurses where giving me the laughing gas (sorry I forgot the proper name). They were coaching me to breath in & out as the pain was excruciating I cannot think properly let alone remember to relax and breathe. Once I inhaled the gas the pain will ease out somehow until it comes again. So you can just imagine I felt no pain as the 2-3 inches needle was being stuck to my spinal cord because really for me the contractions were far more painful. After the epidural was in place I was drowsy and sleepy. I was still aware of the contractions but the terrible terrible terrible pain was gone. Although at one point, around 9 pm or so it felt like epidural was not helping but according to the midwives it should be that way since I have to feel the pushing when the time comes.

Ryan was so supportive. He calms me down while I am shaking ang while I'm in pain. He just holds my hand and lets me squeeze his hand (to a point of numbness...hehehe). Actually in between the good times when I can still smile he takes my pictures. He said I should've asked for the epidural when I first came in. Kse naman feeling ko kaya ko eh to think I have low pain tolerance. Feeling brave!

Past 9 PM nagsisimula na naman ang painful episodes ko it's because when the midwives checked me I was fully dilated na. Dr.Yap was on her way for her 9:30 PM appointment with us. =) All the events seemed syncronized when she stepped in. Everything happened so fast. In just a few minutes I was pusing the baby out. She told me that the baby's head was already visible she even let me touch it. After a few pushes may cheerers pa ha...the midwife there with us was so good in cheering - "push push push..." si mama, si Ryan, Dr. Yap all shouting encouraging words. However my efforts were futile because I lack breath when she is almost out. Hence Dr. Yap told me she has to use vacuum to help me but it also means I have to push harder. After one hard push with the vacuum our baby is out!

Tatiana Reese "Iaree" Garces Tuazon weighed 2.96 kg with a length of 48cm and was delivered exactly at 9:46 pm.

Immediately she was wailing before anything was done to her. Ryan was the one who cut the umbilical cord unfortunately my untrained mom was unable to capture the moment. In a few minutes they handed over the baby to me...it was hard to describe the feeling. It's unbelievable & overwhelming to finally hold her in my arms. Her eyes were open then and she was playing with her saliva. She was so adorable and immediately we were all swept with a so much love for this new person we just saw now.

She was brought outside where Ryan & mama followed, I think for more cleaning etc. Then after a few hours plenty of congratulations from the staff who assisted I was transferred to my room although that night all single rooms were filled so temporarily we were placed in a 2 BR ward. Good thing nobody else occupied the room.
We had no other choice but to have McDonald's for dinner at 11PM there was nothing else we can buy. After two bites of Mc Chicken sandwich I was out. A few hours later they brought the baby in. The nurse positioned her for breast feeding and it was such an amazing experience watching her do so.

After that I tried sleeping but I can't thinking of what I just went through and the excitement that doesn't diminish with the new baby at my side. Mama & Ryan drifted off to dreamland.

1 comment:

aneshka said...

Hi Dowa! I had fun reading your kwento.. na addict ata ako ngayon sa kakabasa ng birthing kwento dati di ko talaga binabasa hehe :)